Skip to main content
Skip to navigation

GraduateĀ Certificates

A graduate certificate is not a graduate degree. Rather, it is a document verifying the successful completion of a specified group of graduate courses. Certificates are intended to help students acquire (or enhance) discipline-related knowledge and skills. To accommodate a variety of learners’ needs, Mizzou offers two types of graduate certificate programs.

Stand-alone graduate certificates

Stand-alone graduate certificates allow students to earn graduate credit hours without having to enroll in a specific degree program. Prospective students have an option to apply to the Graduate School as certificate-only students. A degree-seeking student may also pursue this type of certificate as a complement to (or independent of) a graduate degree program. Search certificate programs »

All students enrolled in a stand-alone graduate certificate program will be classified as Graduate Certificate-seeking graduate students. To qualify for admission, you must have successfully completed the baccalaureate degree at an accredited college or university. Specific graduate certificate programs may have admission standards that exceed those for post-baccalaureate graduate students.

New graduate applicants wishing to pursue a stand-alone certificates should complete the Graduate School's online application for admission.

Degree-dependent graduate certificates

Degree-dependent graduate certificates are designed for degree-seeking students only. To pursue the certificate, a student must be enrolled in the particular degree program offering the certificate. This type of certificate is intended for degree seeking students who wish to pursue specialized courses or related, complementary study. When the designated set of courses and other requirements has been completed, the name of the graduate certificate will appear on the student’s official University of Missouri transcript

New applicants applying for degree-dependent certificates should complete the Graduate School's online application for admission. Once enrolled at MU, complete the Application for Graduate Change of Division, Program, Degree Emphasis or Adviser to add a graduate certificate.

Admission Questions?

Click here to locate your Admission Adviser by the first letter of your last name.