February 12th, 2018
*This program is eligible for the STEM OPT Extension.
Note: The University is no longer accepting new applications for this program.
The PhD program is a research program and is tailored to meet specific educational needs. To qualify for the research phase of the PhD program, the student must pass a comprehensive, multipart qualifying examination, usually administered during the first semester of study for the PhD.
PhD Plan of Study
If the student is entering the PhD program, the planned course of study will be individually evaluated by the nuclear engineering faculty. A comprehensive examination covering the student’s dissertation topic is required at least seven months before anticipated graduation.The PhD degree is a research degree, with a suitable dissertation topic to be chosen in the respective field and usually requires 24 classroom credits of advanced courses beyond the MS degree and 18 credits of research. Typical time-to-degree completion for the PhD degree is three years past the MS degree.
Fall deadline: March 1
Spring deadline for International students: September 1
Spring deadline for Domestic Students: October 1
Applications received after those time frames will be reviewed for acceptance only as time permits.
- Minimum GRE score: none set
- Minimum GPA: 3.0 during last 2 years
- Undergraduate degree (with a strong math and physics background) in an engineering field, physics, biology, chemistry or mathematics from an accredited institution.
Minimum Language Requirements
Click here to view the minimum English language proficiency test scores
Required Application Materials
- Completed Graduate School online application
- Unofficial Transcripts- As part of the application submission process, all applicants are required to upload unofficial copies of all post-secondary transcripts to the online application. Official transcripts are only required if accepted by the academic program.
- Official Results of English Proficiency Exams (International applicants only)
- 3 letters of recommendation and the online recommendation form from previous instructors or technical employers who are familiar with the student’s qualifications for graduate study, submitted directly online through the application. (If the student is applying to the PhD program, one of these letters must be from the MS advisor.)
- Statement of Purpose (uploaded via online application)
- Official GRE score report Department Code 1609