Officially approved as:
Stand Alone: Yes
Total Credit Hours: 16
The Serious Game and Simulation Design (SGSD) graduate level certificate is a 16 credit-hour program. The SGSD certificate program prepares students as practicing professionals within technology environments having serious games and simulation design focuses. This certificate would leverage currently available resources and faculty expertise into a meaningful program with a broad range of students and employers would find both desirable and valuable.
Certificate graduates would have enhanced skill sets giving them a competitive advantage when marketing themselves to SGSD positions. Using Bloom’s taxonomy structure, the following is a clear statement of certificate educational objectives.
- Learn and apply a systematic, agile, team-based and flexible process for game and simulation design.
- Learn and apply skills for prototyping game and/or simulation designs using appropriate software and/or game engine tools.
- Learn and apply principles of visual design; design game and simulation assets.
- Analyze existing games and simulations for usage of game / simulation strategies and mechanisms shown to be effective in achieving cognitive, affective and psychomotor “serious” outcomes.
- Become fluent in usage of serious gaming and simulation technology equipment (e.g. HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Samsung GearVR, etc.)
- Analyze needs, design, and prototype a “serious” game and / or simulation using strategies and mechanisms shown to be effective in achieving cognitive, affective and psychomotor “serious” outcomes.
- Assess and evaluate learning outcomes from employing game / simulation strategies using user experience and usability methods.
Certificate web site:
This program accepts rolling admissions, so you can apply at any time. We recommend you submit your application six weeks before the beginning of the term in which you wish to start your course work.
- Summer semester: May 1
- Fall semester: August 1
- Spring semester: December 1
Required Application Materials
- Completed Graduate School online application
- Unofficial Transcripts- As part of the application submission process, all applicants are required to upload unofficial copies of all post-secondary transcripts to the online application. Official transcripts are only required if accepted by the academic program.
- Official Results of English Proficiency Exams (International applicants only)
- Statement of purpose
- Resume or CV
- SISLT Supplemental Information (built into the Graduate School online application)