February 12th, 2018
Fall deadline: mid-January (consult department website for exact date)
- MA in history strongly preferred
- Quality of master’s thesis or research seminar paper submission
Minimum Language Requirements
Click here to view the minimum English language proficiency test scores
Students who do not meet one or more of these criteria may enroll as non-degree graduate students. Contact the director of graduate studies for further details. All admissions of doctoral candidates who did not receive the MA degree from the department are provisional. These students must pass a qualifying examination. See below for information about the qualifying examination.
Required Application Materials
For the Graduate School and the History Program
- Completed Graduate School online application
- Copy of each college transcript where a degree was earned or is pending (uploaded to the online application). Applicants accepted by the History program will be required to provide official transcripts to the Graduate Admissions office to be formally admitted to the University.
- Short essay explaining goals and expectations in graduate study, including the fields in which the student plans to specialize (upload to the online application)
- Substantial writing sample, such as a final research paper from a course (upload to the online application)
- 3 letters of recommendation (submission through the online application system)
- Official GRE score report (Optional)
- Official Results of English Proficiency Exams (International applicants only)
Incomplete applications will not be considered. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all required documents have been received by the mid-January deadline.