February 12th, 2018
Note: The English Department is currently only accepting applications for the self-funded MA.
Fall deadline: January 1 (priority deadline), April 1 (final deadline)
- Minimum GRE score: not set
- Minimum GPA: 3.0 overall, higher in courses in major
- Majored in English as an undergraduate, with at least 18 hours in upper division courses in literature or linguistics. Students with other undergraduate majors may be admitted provided their background in English studies is suitable and provided they complete an appropriate course of preliminary study. Promising students who do not meet one or more of these criteria may at the discretion of the director of graduate studies be encouraged to enroll as non-degree graduate students.
Minimum Language Requirements
Click here to view the minimum English language proficiency test scores
Required Application Materials
- Completed Graduate School online application
- Unofficial Transcripts- As part of the application submission process, all applicants are required to upload unofficial copies of all post-secondary transcripts to the online application. Official transcripts are only required if accepted by the academic program.
- Official Results of English Proficiency Exams (International applicants only)
- GRE scores are optional for this admissions cycle due to the challenges of the pandemic.
- Three letters of recommendation, at least two of which must be academic.
- One transcript from all colleges or universities you have attended.
- Statement of purpose (approximately 500 words): The admissions committee is interested in your past academic interests, including specific papers and projects you have worked on, and what you wish to accomplish as a graduate student. Please explain why you wish to pursue a particular emphasis (poetry, Romanticism, etc.), in this department. The Statement of Purpose serves as your request to be considered for a Graduate School fellowship.
- Writing Sample: One 15-20 page scholarly paper for students applying for Literature Studies or for English Language and Linguistics. Creative Writing applicants should submit one critical/scholarly paper and one of the following: a sample of your fiction (15-30 pages), creative non-fiction (15-20 pages), or poetry (15-20 pages).