|Entrance Term||Application Deadline|
|Fall||January 8 (consult department website for exact date)*|
- Minimum GPA: 3.0 in last 60 hours
- BA or BS degree
- GPA of 3.3 in undergraduate history courses, and at least 18 hours in history
Minimum Language Requirements
Click here to view the minimum English language proficiency test scores Candidates who lack the necessary undergraduate hours in history must take graduate-level classes in history to remedy that deficiency before they can be considered for admission. They should consult with the director of graduate studies about appropriate classes. Graduate School regulations prohibit a non-degree student from taking more than twelve hours of course work. Candidates must achieve a grade point average in these classes of at least 3.3 on a 4.0 scale to be considered for admission. A 3.3 GPA or higher does not guarantee admission. Course work taken as a non-degree student to remedy a deficiency in prerequisites ordinarily will not count toward the MA degree.
Required Application Materials
For the Graduate School and the History Program
- Completed Graduate School online application
- Copy of each college transcript where a degree was earned or is pending (uploaded to the online application). Applicants accepted by the History program will be required to provide official transcripts to the Graduate Admissions office to be formally admitted to the University.
- Short essay explaining goals and expectations in graduate study, including the fields in which the student plans to specialize (upload to the online application)
- Substantial writing sample, such as a final research paper from a course (upload to the online application)
- 3 letters of recommendation (submission through the online application system)
- Official GRE score report (Optional)
- Official Results of English Proficiency Exams (International applicants only)