February 12th, 2018
Upon successful completion of the 39-hour Library and Information Science program, students receive a Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS). The program is accredited by the American Library Association (ALA).
Fall admission deadline: May 1 (Priority deadline: Feburary 15)
Spring admission deadline: October 15
- Undergraduate GPA (Grade Point Average): Minimum 3.0 in last 60 hours of degree
- GPA of 3.0 (4.0 scale) for any course work beyond the undergraduate level.
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): Minimum 590 (paper-based) or 100 (Internet-based)
- IELTS (International English Language Testing Service): Minimum 7.5
Minimum Language Requirements
Click here to view the minimum English language proficiency test scores
Required Application Materials
- Completed Graduate School online application
- Unofficial Transcripts- As part of the application submission process, all applicants are required to upload unofficial copies of all post-secondary transcripts to the online application. Official transcripts are only required if accepted by the academic program.
- Official Results of English Proficiency Exams (International applicants only)
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Two letters of recommendation
- In the online application, you will need to supply names and contact details of two people who can attest to your critical thinking, analytical and writing skills, demonstrating your potential as a graduate student and LIS professional. The Graduate School will contact your references with instructions regarding the letters.
- We strongly recommend that you have at least one recommendation letter from an undergraduate or graduate instructor who can attest to your critical thinking, and one letter from a supervisor or employer who can attest to your aptitude for the LIS professions. If you have a unique circumstance (e.g., self-employment or no contact with former instructors), please contact us for advice. We do not accept letters of reference from references who cannot look at your experience objectively (e.g., family members, friends).
- SISLT Supplemental Information (built into the Graduate School application)
Detailed application instructions are available at: https://sislt.missouri.edu/lis/.
Scholarships and Financial Aid
Every year SISLT provides more than $22,000 in merit and need-based financial support to new and current LIS students.
- Application deadline: March 1.
More information is available at: https://sislt.missouri.edu/lis/.