*This program is eligible for the STEM OPT Extension.
About the Doctoral Degree Program
The Biomedical Sciences Area PhD is a multidisciplinary program that integrates molecular, cellular and systemic biology within the context of biomedical research. The program provides the student with the background to investigate questions relevant to the Medical sciences at the integrative, molecular or cellular level and to relate the findings to mammalian physiology. Training in both fundamental and state-of-the-art research methodologies help students develop the skills necessary for competitive biomedical research. The program is administered through the Department of Biomedical Sciences (College of Veterinary Medicine) that has research faculty representing a diversity of Medical-related basic science disciplines, including anatomy,biochemistry, histology, pathology, molecular biology, physiology, pharmacology and toxicology. The program offers a rich environment for graduate study and a unique opportunity for training scientists in comprehensive interdisciplinary research.
- Minimum GPA: 3.0
- Required prerequisite courses: Biology (10 hrs), Physics (3 hrs), Biochemistry (3 hrs), Chemistry (10 hrs), Calculus (3 hrs)
- There are no hard deadlines for applications to our graduate programs, as applications are reviewed year-round. Applicants are encouraged to submit their application well in advance of the semester they wish to enter the program.
Minimum Language Requirements
Click here to view the minimum English language proficiency test scores
Required Application Materials
- Completed Graduate School online application
- Unofficial Transcripts- As part of the application submission process, all applicants are required to upload unofficial copies of all post-secondary transcripts to the online application. Official transcripts are only required if accepted by the academic program.
- Official Results of English Proficiency Exams (International applicants only)
- Program-specific application (built into the Graduate School online application)
- Letter of intent addressed to the Director of Graduate Studies. 500 words or more.
- Copy of transcripts
- 3 letters of recommendation