The Glimpse into Graduate School Seminar Program is an initiative that provides current undergraduate students from the University of Missouri or Lincoln University with the resources, programming, and support that are necessary to achieve their aspirations for graduate study. The goal of the program is to empower students to develop the confidence and skills necessary for success in applying to competitive graduate programs and a comfortable transition to graduate education.
Selected participants will attend seminars and workshops and complete assignments that encompass a wide array of topics relating to the graduate school application process. Glimpse sessions are presented by administrators, faculty, staff, and graduate students of MU.
The program also provides students who miss no more than one Glimpse seminar session and/or assignment (or combination as described in the syllabus) are eligible for an application fee waiver for graduate school at the University of Missouri. Also, students who attend all Glimpse sessions and complete all required assignments will be eligible to receive a one-time refund of the cost of a standardized test required for admission to a graduate program (must be taken within 6 months to 1 year of completing the program, and the student is responsible for keeping the program informed of when they intend to take the test). In the case of the GRE (Graduate Record Examination), this refund does not include any costs students may incur for General Subject tests, late fees, or test date change fees. In order to receive a refund for the standardized test, students must provide proof that the test has been taken.
Eligible candidates include:
- Current University of Missouri or Lincoln University students
- Members of racial or ethnic groups that are underrepresented in graduate education (i.e., African American, American Indian, Alaskan Native, Pacific Islander, or Hispanic/Latinx)
- First-generation college students (i.e., parent(s) or guardian(s) did not attend college or attended college but did not graduate and earn a bachelor’s degree)
- Students in their junior or senior years
- Students with strong academic records
- Students with interest in one of MU’s official graduate degree programs
- See a list of graduate programs at MU. Professional degrees like JD, OT, PT, MD are not eligible.
Applications for Fall Semester Glimpse will be accepted between May 1 and September 1 each year. Applicants will be informed about the status of their application by September 5. Fifteen students will be selected.
Applications for Spring Semester Glimpse will be accepted between November 1 and February 1 each year. Applicants will be informed about the status of their application by February 5. Fifteen students will be selected.
Applications received after the deadline and before the decision day will be considered if space is still available, and students will be notified as soon as possible. Seminars will run for three consecutive weeks with 90-minute sessions on Saturdays.
See application requirements below:
- Demographic information
- A list of institutions and programs at which you are interested in pursuing graduate education
- Résumé or CV (upload file)
- Description of how the GLIMPSE program would be beneficial to you (a text box entry)
Click on the button below to access the application—select Glimpse from the radio menu.Apply to Glimpse (MU CIE Application)
Questions regarding the Glimpse into Graduate School Seminar Program should be directed to CIE Director Dr. Raquel A. Arouca at MUGradCIE@missouri.edu.