To The Top
Graduate minors provide students with the opportunities to pursue, within a single academic program or interdisciplinary concentration, a coherent course of study that is more limited (9-15 hours) than a degree program.
Two kinds of minors are available: designated and non-designated. Before they are conferred, both designated and non-designated minors must be approved by the student’s major advisor, the student’s academic program director of graduate studies and the Graduate School.

Designated minors consist of 9–15 hours of course work approved as a graduate minor by a single academic program or interdisciplinary group (see below for the process of getting a new designated minor approved). A Plan of Study for the Designated Graduate Minor  must be submitted to the Graduate School no later than the second week of the semester the student graduates and ideally during the semester prior to the conferral of the degree and minor. Designated graduate minors will be conferred when the major degree is conferred. Once a student officially graduates, the notation of the designated minor will appear on the student’s official transcript.

Non-designated minors consist of course work constituting a unified plan of study that includes a minimum of 9 hours of graduate course work. These minors should be listed on a student’s plan of study; however, they are not listed on a student’s transcript.

The process for establishing a designated graduate minor begins with the department/unit curriculum committee and requires the approval of the division curriculum committee, the dean, the Dean of the Graduate School, and the Graduate Faculty Senate, prior to final approval by the Provost. Minors do not require approval beyond the campus.

Proposals should include (1) a list of the courses that define the minor and a sample program of study, (2) a demonstration that the courses will be offered regularly enough to allow students to complete the minor in a timely fashion, (3) a list of and rationale for any additional course prerequisites or admissions requirements, (4) an account of the advising and support services that will be provided to students pursuing the minor and the program director responsible for these services, (5) the endorsement of any academic units likely to be affected by the creation of the minor.

Once the dean of the academic unit has approved the designated minor request, send the completed proposal c/o Anita Cowan to the Graduate School, 210 Jesse Hall.