December 9th, 2020
Officially approved as:
Stand Alone: Yes
Total Credit Hours: 16
The Serious Game and Simulation Design (SGSD) graduate level certificate is a 16 credit-hour program. The SGSD certificate program prepares students as practicing professionals within technology environments having serious games and simulation design focuses. This certificate would leverage currently available resources and faculty expertise into a meaningful program with a broad range of students and employers would find both desirable and valuable.
Certificate graduates would have enhanced skill sets giving them a competitive advantage when marketing themselves to SGSD positions. Using Bloom’s taxonomy structure, the following is a clear statement of certificate educational objectives.
- Learn and apply a systematic, agile, team-based and flexible process for game and simulation design.
- Learn and apply skills for prototyping game and/or simulation designs using appropriate software and/or game engine tools.
- Learn and apply principles of visual design; design game and simulation assets.
- Analyze existing games and simulations for usage of game / simulation strategies and mechanisms shown to be effective in achieving cognitive, affective and psychomotor “serious” outcomes.
- Become fluent in usage of serious gaming and simulation technology equipment (e.g. HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Samsung GearVR, etc.)
- Analyze needs, design, and prototype a “serious” game and / or simulation using strategies and mechanisms shown to be effective in achieving cognitive, affective and psychomotor “serious” outcomes.
- Assess and evaluate learning outcomes from employing game / simulation strategies using user experience and usability methods.
Certificate web site: