*This program is eligible for the STEM OPT Extension.
Fall deadline: January 18
The department accepts as candidates for the Ph.D. students who have earned an M.A. or its equivalent in art history, media studies, or related fields of the humanities and social sciences, either from the University of Missouri-Columbia or from an institution recognized by the University. An M.A. thesis is a prerequisite for the Ph.D. in both art history and classical archaeology. The Doctoral Program Committee determines the acceptability of work completed elsewhere.
Students completing an M.A. degree in the School of Visual Studies who want to continue for the Ph.D. must be accepted for advising by a faculty member on the doctoral faculty. Such students should submit a statement of purpose and a current CV to the School by the January 18 deadline. If students are formally admitted by the faculty, they submit a “Change of Program, Degree, Emphasis or Advisor Form” to the Graduate School.
Minimum Language Requirements
Click here to view the minimum English language proficiency test scores
Required Application Materials
- Completed Graduate School online application
- Unofficial Transcripts- As part of the application submission process, all applicants are required to upload unofficial copies of all post-secondary transcripts to the online application. Official transcripts are only required if accepted by the academic program.
- Official Results of English Proficiency Exams (International applicants only)
All application materials must be submitted directly through the Graduate School online application. Applications will not be considered complete until we receive the following:
- GRE scores (recommended)
- Three letters of recommendation concerning academic qualifications to undertake graduate work
- A short statement of the applicant’s scholarly interests, professional goals, and reasons for applying to do graduate work in Visual Studies
- A copy of a recent research paper as a sample of your scholarship and writing
- Curriculum vitae