*This program is eligible for the STEM OPT Extension.
Fall deadline: January 18
Admission to the department on the graduate level is granted yearly to a small number of candidates who hold recognized BA or MA degrees in art history, media studies, or related fields of the humanities and social sciences. In addition to the 3.0 GPA required by the Graduate School, the department requires: a GPA of 3.3 in the major field and a minimum GRE score (below). It also encourages applicants to have at least three semesters of a single appropriate foreign language (normally German, French, Italian, or Spanish).
Minimum Language Requirements
Click here to view the minimum English language proficiency test scores
Required Application Materials
- Completed Graduate School online application
- Unofficial Transcripts- As part of the application submission process, all applicants are required to upload unofficial copies of all post-secondary transcripts to the online application. Official transcripts are only required if accepted by the academic program.
- Official Results of English Proficiency Exams (International applicants only)
All application materials must be submitted directly through the Graduate School online application. Applications will not be considered complete until we receive the following:
- GRE scores (recommended)
- Three letters of recommendation concerning academic qualifications to undertake graduate work
- A short statement of the applicant’s scholarly interests, professional goals, and reasons for applying to do graduate work in Visual Studies.
- A copy of a recent research paper as a sample of your scholarship and writing
- Curriculum vitae