The MA in Defense and Strategic Studies is concerned with understanding topics such as military power and effectiveness, intelligence, diplomacy, and deterrence. These subjects are continually important for understanding international politics and security in an increasingly complex world. This professionally-oriented program is targeted toward US military officers and the civilian workforce in industries, government agencies, and think tanks related to international relations and national security. The MA in Defense and Strategic Studies program requires 30 credit hours, and is offered entirely online. Extensive transfer credit for military schooling is offered.
Defense and Strategic Studies, Master of Arts
Summer deadline: April 15
Fall deadline: July 15
Spring deadline: November 15
- A BA or equivalent from an accredited institution
- Applicants should have a GPA of at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale). Those with a GPA under 3.0 will need very strong qualities in other areas (such as professional experience) to gain admission.
Minimum Language Requirements
Click here to view the minimum English language proficiency test scores
Required Application Materials
- Completed Graduate School online application
- Unofficial Transcripts- As part of the application submission process, all applicants are required to upload unofficial copies of all post-secondary transcripts to the online application. Official transcripts are only required if accepted by the academic program.
- Official Results of English Proficiency Exams (International applicants only)
- Two letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose
- GRE scores (Optional)
- TOEFL scores (Required for international applicants)