The joining of these two disciplines provides a powerful way to address modern questions of biology. The department offers MS and PhD degree programs in Pharmacology and Physiology. These programs are designed to prepare students for rewarding teaching and/or research careers in academia, government or the pharmaceutical and biotechnical industries.
Note: This program is no longer accepting applications. If you are interested in this field, please apply to the Integrative Physiology track of the Translational Biosciences Program.
*This program is eligible for the STEM OPT Extension.
Fall deadline: December 15
- Minimum GPA: 3.0 in the last 60 hours
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college
- Background in biology and chemistry and an understanding of mathematics and physics
- Course work in biochemistry and physiology is highly recommended.
- Previous lab or research experience preferred
Students with an appropriate educational background are encouraged to apply for entrance into the PhD program. A master’s degree is not a prerequisite for admission to the doctoral program. The department will consider applications for the MS degree programs from U.S. citizens but PhD degree students will be given priority consideration for financial support. Deficiencies in course work may be remedied during the first years of the graduate program.
Minimum Language Requirements
Click here to view the minimum English language proficiency test scores
Required Application Materials
For the Graduate School
- Completed Graduate School online application
- Unofficial Transcripts- As part of the application submission process, all applicants are required to upload unofficial copies of all post-secondary transcripts to the online application. Official transcripts are only required if accepted by the academic program.
- Official Results of English Proficiency Exams (International applicants only)
For the Medical Pharmacology and Physiology Program
- Statement of Purpose: Please provide in 400 words or less a brief description of research experience (abstract and paper citations preferred) and a statement of how the M.S./Ph.D program will facilitate your career goals.
- 3 letters of recommendation. The letters should be written by individuals knowledgeable of the student’s academic capability.
- Official TOEFL/IELTS/PTE/Cambridge C1 Advanced/Duolingo scores (if international)