This orientation is designed to help meet the needs of graduate students teaching for the first time at the University of Missouri. The Graduate Teaching Orientation (GTO) is held twice a year, once in August the week prior to the start of the fall semester and once in January the week prior to the start of the spring semester.
The registration for August GTO is now open.
Who should attend?
All Teaching Assistants (TAs) and Graduate Instructors (GIs) who have not taught at the University of Missouri previously should attend GTO. Experienced Teaching Assistants and Graduate Instructors at the University of Missouri are also welcome to attend at the orientation.
What is covered in GTO?
GTO will help prepare graduate students for the classroom. Sessions typically include the following:
- Campus offices, centers, and policies that students with teaching roles should be aware of
- Graduate student panel providing insights and advice based on their experiences teaching on campus
- Online technologies to support teaching and learning
- Building rapport with students on the first day and throughout the semester
- Inclusive teaching strategies to support the development of a community of learners
- Strategies for handling difficult situations that may come up when teaching
August 2023 GTO
Thursday, August 17 (Zoom/Canvas) and Friday, August 18 (in-person: 8:30 AM to 3:30 PM). Both days are required. Light breakfast and box lunch will be provided to attendees on August 18. Registrants will be emailed a detailed orientation schedule the week of the event. Please register for GTO by no later than August 10, 2023.